Friday, October 3, 2008

Two Conferences in One Week

I have become very familiar with the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh. I've been there before, but I just attended two conferences in eight days. Now, I really know my way around. I know the location of every women’s' restroom!

The convention center is beautiful and it is the largest Gold LEED certified green convention center in the country. I am proud of our city for making a commitment to the environment! Way to go Pittsburgh!

Yesterday, Pittsburgh hosted the Pennsylvania Governor's Conference for Women. The breakout sessions were exceptional. I took a group of high school girls to participate in workshops for young women. They attended sessions focusing on positive risk taking, self respect and on being a positive force for change. They, and I, were inspired. There was also time to attend other sessions. I most enjoyed a keynote address by Naomi Tutu and listening to and meeting writer Sara Davidson.

The previous Thursday I attended a conference on Women’s' Health and the Environment hosted by Teresa Heinz and McGee Women's Hospital. This was a GREAT conference! It was very exciting to see 2000 women eager to learn how environmental factors affect health. I wish every woman could experience this program.

I am disappointed in myself for not taking any photographs to share. But, guess what? I'll be back at the convention center Tuesday for The National Materials Science and Technology Conference. No, I am not an engineer. That is one career I never tried. LOL I do have more than a few brilliant science students who want to study engineering so off we go. The organizers of the conference have graciously invited high school students to participate in a variety of workshops. I'll take my camera.

2 comments:

Annette said...

Glad to see you blogging again! Not that the mockingbird wasn't lovely, but I was getting tired of seeing him every time I checked in!

Kathleen said...

You are funny! It is so good to know that someone checked in every now and then! Thanks!