Monday, October 27, 2008

Coming in for a Landing


Geese visited the hayfied behind Allhaven nearly every day since August.

They are gone now. I've not seen them for nearly two weeks. I miss watching them feed on the hill, but mostly I miss hearing the honking as they fly over the house in romantic, V-shaped formations. There is something heartwarming about geese overhead. They are endearing and enduring, like a 1940s black and white movie about everyone pitching in to help the U.S. war effort.

Here they come!


Geese fly with grace,


but landing is another story. Look out!


They remind me of popping corn. The hugh birds appear to bounce randomly in multiple directions.

There. It is time to settle in, relax and visit.


Until it is time to be head a little farther north.


God Speed, my friends.

6 comments:

Sheri said...

Amazing photos! I love to watch birds, too.

Naturegirl said...

I love your tribute to the Canada geese! They are still abundant here in central Ontario Canada...I live near the lake shore and every morning
the gaggle is here...(((HONK)))

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

What wonderful shots! I love geese too. They winter over here in our area so we'll see a lot of them during the winter and then less during the summer. After reading this post, I want to go down and visit our local gaggle at the marina.

Cindy

Kathleen said...

Hi Friends,
Your remarks have me think of a new bumper sticker, "HONK if you love geese." Okay, don't groan, I couldn't resist.

Mary said...

Kathleen, you do live a glorious life, indeed! Your geese photos are wonderful. I try so hard to get photos of birds in flight and curse every time... I need to practice more, perhaps? Yes.

Great job!

Mary

Kathleen said...

Mary,

I am blessed in so many ways. I love where I live.

I took a lot of pictues to get that first shot of the flying goose. I helps to have a long lens, but there is SO much to learn.