Monday, March 30, 2009

Jane Goodall

Jane Goodall blessed Pittsburgh with her wisdom last Wednesday, March 25. And I, lucky, lucky me, was thrilled to be given a ticket to the sold out lecture! You can imagine my excitement to receive the additional gift of a ticket to a reception with Dr. Goodall. I was near levitation!

I could feel the electricity when I walked into the Mozart Room at Pittsburgh's Heinz Hall for the reception. Then, there she was! At the opposite end of the long, narrow room sat Jane Goodall at a tall table. She was surrounded by bright, umbrella lamps for a photo shoot. With perfect posture and a calm smile she greeted each admirer, signed a book, shared a few comments and posed for a photo. Then I had a revelation - everyone was able to have a photo taken with Dr. Goodall courtesy of Robert Morris University. The evening kept getting better and better!

I stood in line and inched my way across the room toward the patient gentlewoman. I passed on the drinks and hors d’oeuvers offered by waiters in cummerbunds. The only things I could think about were the articles I read and the stories of Jane Goodall and the chimpanzees of Gombe. Soon, this amazing woman, friend of David Greybeard, was in front of me. I had goose bumps. I was next!

I was in the presence of a spiritual powerhouse. She was very proper - very English - but this wisp of a woman radiates!

She signed my copy of Reason to Hope, something she has done countless times, but I bet not many fans commented on the use of the word "glorious" within the chapters. It was a short, sweet encounter. Yes! I had my photo taken with Jane Goodall. GRIN!

I will treasure the memory of her inspiring lecture and of meeting this woman who has dedicated her life to conservation and education. Is there any better calling?

Please visit The Jane Goodall Institute to learn more about her work, the chimpanzees, the Roots & Shoots program, and you can leave Jane a birthday greeting. She will be 75 April 3! Happy Birthday Jane!

http://www.janegoodall.org/

2 comments:

Annette said...

VERY cool!

Margaret Cloud said...

This is a wonderful person and you are lucky to have the honor meeting her, I would of had goose bumps also.