Friday, November 28, 2008

A Winter with John Burroughs

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."

John Burroughs



It is somewhat comforting to know that in the quieter times at the turn of the last century, John Burroughs also had a long to-do-list. A list of desires that is similar to my own. There seems to be never enough time to read the ever-growing stack of books and list of favorite blogs, to have that party, to hike in Cook's Forest, and even to write on my own blog.

I've read about John Burroughs so much I feel like I've read a lot of his work. I have not. Maybe an essay here or there that was in a collection of other works, but I've not sat down with the intent to read his words. Until now. I've recently been focusing my reading on nature writing, thank you Julie Zickefoose for this wonderful new addiction, and Burroughs name keeps popping up everywhere.

When I read an article about a local estate auction a few weeks ago and saw a listing for The Works of John Burroughs, Appleby Edition, I knew I was going to buy those books. Seventeen volumes with titles that begged me to hold them and gently caress and read each page. Titles like, Winter Sunshine, Locusts and Wild Honey, Birds and Poets,and Leaf and Tendril took my breath. Lovely. They were coming home.

I will winter-in with this set of beautiful blue books. It will be a joyous adventure to develop a relationship with this special nature writer. I will learn more about him, his world and myself.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

I looked up this author as I had not heard of him. I will have to get some of his books from the local library.

Kathleen said...

It is good to share books. I hope you enjoy his writing.

Julie Zickefoose said...

A sweet addiction it is. Your blog is lovely! I want a peanut feeder like that!

Kathleen said...

Julie,
I just noticed your comment. Thank you. You make me smile.