Saturday, July 12, 2008

Kicker Rock


Day two in the Galapagos started with a zodiac ride around Kicker Rock. We felt like characters in an Indiana Jones movie! As our zodiac captain maneuvered in the narrow crevice between the cliffs, some of us tried to sing the theme music, “Da, Da, Da, Daaaa…..Da, Da, Daa..” My friend, David, remarked that the cliffs would be closing in on us if we were in a film scene! It was great fun! We did see a few birds, but the geology of these volcanic islands and beautiful sunrise where what we will all remember.

Yes. We went into this narrow crevice...

and saw this on the other side.

Kicker Rock is HUGH!

That small black dot in the water is a zodiac filled with adventurers!


Kicker Rock is technically known as a Tuff structure because of the cememnt-like finish. Tuff is formed when the rocks and ash from a volcanic explosion mix with water vapor. I might not be an expert in geology, but I know that Kicker Rock is stunningly beautiful!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

It is good to hear from you! Thank you for sharing your memories of Kicker Rock. It was a spectacular morning!

I'm so glad you mentioned all the wildlife. I should have said that we saw a few speices of birds! I stand corrected. :-)

The website you set up looks great! It is nice to see so many adding photos. I'll get mine to you asap.