Thursday, July 10, 2008

Iguanas and Lizzards of the Galapagos



Reptilian creatures were EVERYWHERE in the Galapagos! From the first island to the last, Land and Marine Iguanas and Lava Lizards were very easy to find. In fact, hikers had to be careful not to accidentally step on lava lizards. They are well camouflaged and do not hurry away when humans show up.


They hang out long enough to pose for a photo before scurrying into the brush.




Iguanas, on the other hand, do not scurry. They might be resting in the middle of the trail and you, dear human, must go around. The colorful Land Iguana in the photo below decided he liked my friends blue shoes.


The Land Iguana matures at about 3 feet in length. The males are more colorful and have more ridges along the back than the female.


The male pictured above was sunning near the hiking trail, while the female, shown in the photo below, was about 15 feet away in a clearing.



I learned from our guide that Land Iguana borrow underground, much like groundhogs, and that their favorite food is Prickly Pear Catus.




Marine Iguanas spend most of their time sunning on the lava coastlines or sandy beaches of the many islands. It was a Marine Iguana Orgy!


This group liked the shade provided by the small shrub.



Well, my friends I've touched base on the reptiles of the Galapagos.



I am very grateful to have been able see them in person. I love their colors and the texture of their skin, but I must admit that I have seen enough iguanas to last my lifetime! I went to the Galapagos for the birds and tortoises! More on my passions tomorrow…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to be reincarnated as a marine iguana. What a glorious life! Sun on the beach until almost comatose. Slip into the frigid ocean, munch on seaweed growing on underwater rocks. Chill quickly, so haul yourself out on the beach and warm up your scales in the limpid air. Rest. Repeat! THAT'S the life for me!