Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Laburnum Tree


I fell in love with Liburnum trees because of Rosemary Verey. I saw photographs of her garden in England about 10 years ago. She planted an allee of Liburnum that was gorgeous. I was really hooked when I finally saw a blooming tree in Pittsburgh. At that moment, I knew I would eventually plant a Liburnum. These trees many not be native, but they are lovely and I was going to have one! In the spring of 2004 I was surprised to find this small tree at an auction. It came home.
I am pushing zones with this tree. It is planted in a protected area and is doing well. The blooms are nearly a foot in length, similar to a Wysteria, and they have lasted over two weeks! Unfortunately, they do not have a scent.
I should share the the Liburnum tree is the only thing blooming in this small entrance garden. The garden is being redesigned and almost everything has been removed. It is a HUGH mess! I obviously did not show the bare earth in the photo. I promise to show before AND after photos in a later blog.

No comments: