Saturday, December 20, 2008

Winter Solstice


Celebrate! Winter Solstice occurred at 7:04 Eastern Time this morning. The longest night of the year is tonight then the sun majestically returns to give us longer days. It is the first day of winter and a day of fresh starts and new beginnings. I love it! Happy Yule!

My Winter Solstice traditions include listening to the Paul Winter Consort on National Public Radio. In celebration of the earth, her creatures and cultures, Paul Winter gives annual Winter Solstice concerts at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City. His music not only includes the use of instruments from around the world, but also the songs of animals. He is most known for including whale songs and wolf howls in his music. My favorite part of the concert is when the audience joins in the howling. The concert is always special and beautiful.

Tonight, I will listen to the concert on my local NPR station, WDUQ in Pittsburgh. You can also listen at any time on the NPR website. Enjoy!

Happy Solstice!

3 comments:

Annette said...

Happy Solstice, Kathleen. I am sooo ready for a return to the light.

Margaret Cloud said...

I agree with Annette, I am ready to have longer days.Enjoy your concert music, sounds nice.

Mary said...

Amen! Longer days! Something to look forward to during the months of January and February - blah blah blah :o)

Mary